Repo! The Genetic Opera

Repo! The Genetic Opera is just really, really bad. It looks cool some of the time, but the terrible music kills it.

Back around the time Repo came out, a friend watched it. For some reason I wasn't interested, or he was watching it when I was about to go to bed or something, because I saw about the first third of it and not the rest. People seem to like it, though, so I thought I should see the whole thing. It turns out the first third was the only halfway decent part and it's all downhill from there.

I did like the Graverobber. He's easily the best part. I like his aesthetic. And he has the best song, about Zydrate, which is the only good song. The music is really terrible. Shilo's punk interlude was the worst. It didn't make any sense at all. Rotti's children were so weird. They didn't have any depth at all, which I guess was the point, but it made them really hard to get into.


It does have some cool things going on aesthetically in general. I liked the weird look of the city and the flying media thing. And the repo man outfit was cool. Mag's eyes were bizarre. I didn't get why she would sign a contract that locked her into slavery to Geneco, either. She was probably getting along fine being blind, anyway. It looked cool when she got impaled, though.

 I liked the flashbacks to people's stories. It was interesting to learn about their backgrounds. It was funny that Shilo was so entranced by the projection of her mother. It's not like she wasn't already surrounded by holograms of her.
Apparently the Graverobber co-wrote the story and drew the art for the flashbacks, so that's cool.


My reaction at the end was pretty much "that was so terrible, how did it even get made?"

No comments:

Post a Comment