Moon

I can't really say that I *liked* Moon, but seeing how things played out was interesting.

It seems like everybody I know has seen Moon. Somehow I didn't hear anything about it until seven years after it came out. I didn't really know what to expect. All I knew about it was basically "a guy on a space station, something something AI."

I figured it probably had something to do with the computer system on the station, so the clone thing was a complete surprise. It was a cool experience watching a movie where I had no idea what was about to happen, though. I don't think I knew it starred Sam Rockwell. He wasn't exactly the most likeable guy. He was getting pretty irritable near the end of his stay, at the beginning of the movie. Although I guess his body was also starting to break down.

I wonder who the woman he was hallucinating was. Gerty was super nice. It bugged me that the cup holder was so dirty. Every time they wake up a new Sam, they tell him he just got there. But he thinks there was someone there before him. So I'm guessing that cup holder has never been washed. I like the idea that this has been going on for like 200 years. But it's probably less than 15.

They mentioned going back and meeting their daughter, but I don't think that would work out. I don't know what he thought he was going to accomplish by taking down the signal blocker. They're just going to fix it. At best, the new Sam they just woke up is going to find out what year it actually is, and then they'll probably just kill him. I like the way they slowly revealed things, and you gradually figured things out. That part was done well. It kind of turned into a horror movie when the first clone started falling apart. It was terrible seeing him get sick like that. He looked like a zombie. 


It's a weird question to think about, like if what they were doing was right or not. I guess it's kind of okay. The real Sam probably would have decided to go just for three years. So it's not like they're taking free will away from the clones or anything. And they think they have a family to go back to. So they have something to live for. I guess it's just like with animals that you're eventually going to kill. You have to be humane to them while they're alive. So that's the only thing I think they should change. They should shorten the contract to two and a half years or something so the clones don't start getting sick before they "go back."


Random trivia: the role was written for Sam, and the writer/director was David Bowie's son.

No comments:

Post a Comment