Princess Mononoke

Princess Mononoke wasn't exactly the epic I was expecting. The theme is pretty simple, but the animation is solid, and it held my attention for the entire movie.

I like Miyazaki's work, so Princess Mononoke has been on my "to watch" list for a while. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were better, but at least this wasn't as bad as Ponyo. The animation was good, and it held my interest for the entire time. Maybe it's one of those movies that's better for its iconicity than it is for watching for the first time. I liked San's general look/outfit, but other than that there wasn't anything really striking about it, visually or thematically.

I did like the spirits in the forest. The Deer God's face was pretty creepy, but his night form was cool. And I appreciated how selfless Ashitaka was, trying to save everyone all the time. His archery skills were pretty epic after he got cursed, and I liked that Yakul always stayed loyal to him. I watched it subtitled, but the translation was a little wonky, so I probably would've liked the movie better if that had been more accurate. It seemed pretty unrealistic that Eboshi just decided to play nice after being saved by an animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment