A Clockwork Orange

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favorite movies (and books). I love the aesthetics, from the framing to the costumes. The dialogue is brilliant, especially the use of Nadsat. The soundtrack is amazing, and the plot is visceral and thought-provoking. Burgess' writing in combination with Kubrick's vision created something truly iconic.

This was the third time I've seen A Clockwork Orange. It's one of my favorite movies, and books. I love languages and different lingo, which is probably why I like it so much. There are so many lines that just strike a chord with me, maybe because they've been reinforced a few times.


I don't even know what to say about it. The imagery is great; I love the milk bar, all the crazy 70s-future style décor, the art, the outfits. And of course the music is a major part of it. So many iconic scenes, like the threesome to the William Tell Overture, and Alex attacking the cat lady with that gigantic penis sculpture, and being in the straitjacket with the eye apparatus. I love that the guy in the wheelchair employs this circus strongman-style dude just to carry him around his house.

Kubrick is a great director. Every shot is basically a work of art. I loved Malcom's performance, and especially the narration. Maybe it is a little too pat, but I like that everyone Alex attacks comes back around and attacks him after he's been "cured." It has a lot of impact for me for some reason. The snake is great, and the girls with their popsicles. And it's pretty funny the way Alex keeps popping his mouth open like a bird when the Minister is feeding him.


It's so perfect the way "Singing in the Rain" is punctuated with the screams of their victims. I like that you feel bad for the victims in the first part, and then it swings around and you feel bad for Alex. The book had a different ending, though. In the book, Alex stays "cured" and is resigned to getting a job and a wife and living a normal life. It's a totally different statement that relates more to the theme, which is pretty much summed up by the chaplain when he says "when a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man." It's an interesting concept to think about, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment