The Ballard of Buster Scruggs

There are some interesting themes and visuals in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and of course a lot of great actors, but overall, it's just not my thing.

The Coen Brothers are hit or miss with me, and The Ballard of Buster Scruggs falls squarely in the category of "meh."

I didn't like the singing in the first one. It was cool that the guy was such a good shot, though. I kind of liked that he died. It's surprising that he lived to be the age that he did, really. Although he probably came to the West later in life. It probably didn't even exist when he was a young guy.

I did like James Franco in his bit, but that wasn't enough to move me off neutral on the vignette as a whole.

I'm not a fan of Tom Waits, so that episode wasn't as special for me as it will be for a lot of people. The scenery was pretty in that one, but the CG animals were really distracting. I think the Coen Brothers could have afforded real animals. I liked that he killed the other guy and survived.


The entertainer one was terrible. He didn't have to kill him. He could have just left him at the next town. And the wagon one was just as bad. They were going to be so happy together. But I guess it is her own fault for wandering off after he told her not to. It was driving me crazy trying to remember who Bill Heck was the entire time. But I haven't seen him in anything before, which is why I never figured it out. I liked him, though.


The carriage one was interesting. I liked all the different characters. I wish Brendan Gleeson had gotten to say more. They should do an entire movie about those bounty hunters. It was good to see Tyne Daly. She doesn't do much these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment