In the House


In the House was appropriately tense, and it had some interesting moments, but it all fell apart at the end and rendered the entire movie pointless.

It's been five months since I saw a movie I disliked as much as In the House, so I guess that's a good thing. I was interested in it based on the trailer, and I forgot to check and see if it was any good or not before I decided to watch it, but I probably would've watched it even if I had done my research. It's tough to watch movies in a foreign language. You have to read the whole time, and you miss out on getting to watch what's going on. French is cool, though. I didn't used to like it, but it's starting to grow on me.

I didn't like Claude. I guess we aren't supposed to. But he really turned out to be a terrible guy. Germain's interactions with his wife were really interesting; I enjoyed all of those parts. I felt bad for her, the whole situation she had going on with the art gallery; and Germain really was ignoring her. Esther was totally useless. It wasn't very believable that Claude would want to run away with her. I think Claude should've just been happy to have a buddy and left it at that. At one point near the end he said "there's no place for me here," but there would've been if he hadn't been such a jerk.

I don't think Germain would've stolen that math test in the first place. And the entire end of the movie was totally unbelievable. Maybe it didn't happen; maybe Claude just imagined it, and reality ended when Esther told him they were moving to China. That was the last realistic thing that happened. Even if he went and talked to Jeanne, there's no reason she would've just fallen asleep on the couch like that. She certainly wouldn't have slept with Claude. I don't think she would've decided to leave Germain. He wouldn't have tried to strangle her, either.


It all just totally fell apart at the end. As Germain kept saying, it went off track. And then Germain loses his job and becomes a homeless guy? I don't think so. And why was he so happy that Claude deigned to talk to him? He didn't even like Claude. I think he would've been pretty pissed at him for destroying his life. The idea that Claude's just going to start getting into other people's lives and destroying them was creepy, but it wasn't what I was expecting to come away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment