A Coffee in Berlin


Niko's interactions with the people he meets in A Coffee in Berlin are interesting, but the unsatisfying ending left me feeling like there wasn't any point in watching it.

The trailer for A Coffee in Berlin looked interesting, and it has a 7.5 on IMDb, which is pretty good. I couldn't remember what it was about anymore by the time I saw it. I like it better that way, though. The trailers always give too much away. I was immediately put off by the "upbeat jazz" soundtrack. It's the kind of music that causes me to completely write off any movie that uses it in the trailer. It makes me feel like the movie isn't going to have any substance. In this case, it took any depth and sincerity out of the movie, and made it feel like I didn't really have to experience what was happening.

Niko said that he had the feeling the people around him were strange, and then he realized he was the strange one, but I don't think that's true. I got the impression a lot of the people around him were genuinely strange. Julika was definitely off her rocker. You could tell that from his first interaction with her. He was right to stop things from going any farther. I don't think her going after those guys so viciously shows any growth on her part, either. It's one thing to stand up for yourself, but it's another to be unnecessarily vicious. You're just as bad as the bullies if you start doing that. Just because you have the power to cut someone down doesn't mean you should, even if they were out of line.

I couldn't sympathize with his neighbor, either. If he can't sleep with his wife just because she had a mastectomy, he doesn't really love her and he should do them both a favor and get divorced. I felt bad for Niko that he couldn't ever get any coffee, especially when it got replaced right after he turned away. I guess he wasn't exactly going after it with single-minded purpose, though. If it had been that important, he could've found some. I read a review that said there were running gags in the movie that paid off, but I didn't see any other than the coffee, and even that wasn't satisfying when he finally got it.


That was a terrible way for Niko to break up with his girlfriend. They had obviously been going out for a while if they went to Paris together, and he didn't even tell her he was breaking up with her. It's pretty crazy that you have to have a psychological evaluation to get your driver's license back in Germany. It's not a bad idea, though.


Tom Schiling was interesting to watch. It was pretty funny when he had to try to get his money back from the homeless guy's cup. I think he should've just taken it. He could've explained what happened if he thought he needed to. It was also interesting seeing the different shots of Berlin, just because I'm not from there, but I wonder if it would have the same novelty for someone who lives in Germany. The old man's story about not being able to ride his bike was really sad. A few people have said the ending was "poignant," but for me it was just pointless. I felt like there wasn't any reason for the movie, and that's always disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment